Main Mouse

Main Mouse
Parade Magic!

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Is WDW too expensive?

Yes, yes it is.  Or no, no, it isn't.  This is probably the dumbest question ever.

My husband sent me a link to an article or blog post saying five things you should spend your money on that would be better spent then a Disney vacation.  It was laughable.  Well, sure!  You should fund your child's college education before going to ride rides and laugh with Mickey.  And yes, there are a lot of options for other vacations that could be cheaper perhaps.

This is the deal.  The straight poop.  You KNOW if you have enough to go to Disney.  The tickets are the most expensive thing.  A family of four, for five days will spend well over a thousand dollars for their tickets alone.  Not the hotel, the food, the extras.  There are hotel options there which run the gamut for pricing from OK to expensive.  There are food options that run from pricey to whoppers!  Oh, and if you need to pay for getting there (and everyone has to get there, unless you live there), well, that is the other thing that can potentially be more then the tickets.  That they just raised the ticket prices last weekend is only further proof.

It is not a cheap vacation or a bargain vacation.  What it is though, is so very swell.  The Disney folks like to throw out the word 'magical'.  I completely laughed at this marketing ploy when I first heard it.

It is a thoroughly immersive, completely fun, let go vacation.  What Disney does, and does right, is layer the experience.  Surroundings, small touches, over the top stuff, all of it.  It is nice and it is fun.

We didn't vacation really, except for whatever we could do for under 500 dollars.  I am a flight attendant folks, and I didn't vacation, unless I could do it cheap.  My kids didn't do any beach, except for off season, and in Texas.  Then my dad died.

It hit me that stuff was stuff, but memories made were forever.  Sounds extremely cliched but think back to your childhood.  I bet at least half of your memories are from family vacations, am I right?

Ok, back to original question.  If you have outstanding bills, like credit card debt, wait and pay the things off first.  Do it.  No amount of magic is going to make seeing the bills multiply when you get back feel any better.  Debt will keep you up at night, and let's face it, you need to be well rested for Disney!

If you have a vacation budget and are wondering where to go, please consider WDW.  Some people have annual vacations such as ski every year (that is a vacation which has zippo appeal to me but that is what makes the world go round, right?  Different opinions?) or head to the beach.  The trip we took to Grand Canyon was a great one, and I am so happy we did it.  The beach is always soothing, and that is a great thing.  For goofy, crazy fun?  WDW wins it for me, every time.

Yes, it is expensive.  From merely dang expensive to crazy expensive, it is expensive.  Some folks go for a long time (week to even more).  We have done five days at WDW to three at DL, to three for me, and then one night for my son and I.  Worth it?  That is an operative term that only you can answer.

I am a huge fan of goofy, crazy fun.  HUGE.  And yes, I am ready to go back...

No comments:

Post a Comment